inside the mind of the mom next door


What a week we just had!  The night of 4th of July, Hope did not sleep much.  She was up with bad dreams and/or a fever, teething… you never know exactly.  She was behaving so erraticallythat we kept her home from school on Thursday.  I was working a lot, so Mama Dub spent a lot of time with Hope from Wednesday through Saturday that week.  Wendy and I got a babysitter for Sunday, because we were going to spend the day at the lake.  I started feeling bad on Saturday, so I told Wendy to take a much needed break, go to the lake with friends, and I would stay home with Hope.

Happy Days

My energy level faded throughout the day as my head and sinuses got worse instead of better.  Sunday evening, I had Hope ready for bed, waiting for Mama Dub to get home to say good night.  When Wendy got home, she had injured her right knee and her left foot at the lake that day, and she could barely walk.

Monday morning, Wendy was in pain, so I changed my morning meetings to phone calls.  I knew I needed to go to the doctor, because I could not afford to get any worse.  Hope also needed to go to the doctor, because she was not getting better either.  Hope’s doctor’s appointment interfered with a meeting I could not change, so Wendy, barely able to walk, took Hope to the doctor by herself.  During the meeting, I received a text from Wendy that said, “Come home as soon as you can.”

I got home later that afternoon with dinner, and we made it through the night.  I would take Hope to school Tuesday morning and pick her up after my meetings.

Healthy and Happy

Wendy could go get her injuries checked out while Hope was at school.  Well, I got up Tuesday at 6am and made sure everyone had breakfast, I think.  I told Wendy I was going back to bed to wake me up when it was time for me to drive Hope to school.  I did not get out of bed until Wednesday afternoon.

Wendy had a court date Wednesday morning to get her last name changed to Howe.  That should be cause for celebration and another blog post, but we were both so miserable that neither has happened yet.  Luckily, our next door neighbor allowed Hope to spend the morning at her house with her 2 daughters while I continued to lie in bed.  Wendy got her name changed, went to rehab, ran a couple of errands, and came home long enough to feed Hope lunch, put her down for a nap, and take a nap.  That afternoon, Wendy went to the doctor for x-rays, and I ventured out of bed and was able to sit in the floor and watch Hope for a few hours.

By Thursday, things were somewhat improved, but we were thrown off again when Hope had a bad night.  I don’t know how we did it.  I don’t know how Wendy did it, and I don’t know how others do it.  It seems that parents are able to find strength or help when they most need it.

Comments on: "Survival" (1)

  1. Kathy Dozier said:

    Bless your hearts!!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Tag Cloud

%d bloggers like this: